Pages

2/3/10

Percy Jackson & The Olympians

So, a couple summers ago a friend of mine suggested these books to me and I had every intention of reading them but somehow never managed to do it. This was solved Monday night however when hubby came home with the first book "Percy Jackson & the Olympians - The Lightning Thief" and gave it to me. The 1st 4 books are on sale there - prolly in anticipation of the movie opening next weekend.





So i started it yesterday and finished it today. It's very cute and I loved it immensely. If you are a fan of Greek mythology or ancient history I suggest you RUN not walk to your nearest bookstore or library and begin reading them. Yes they are written for young adults. Percy (real name Perseus *squee*)  is 12 years old and just exiting 6th grade when we meet him. But much like Harry Potter (whom we meet at 11) it transcends age really. The writing is less complex than novels written for older crowds, but that doesn't even matter.

As a Greek mythology fangirl I am in LOVE with the idea behind the novels as well as the execution of them. I adore that I can pick out which immortal is which before they tell me who or what they are straightforward. Mr. D for instance, or Auntie Em or even the strange ladies knitting giant socks on the side of the road.

I cannot stress how much I adored this book! I can't wait to read the 2nd one AND I'm super geeked to see the movie now! Hubby is gonna read the book now that I'm done, then I'm loaning it to another friend of ours who I *think* has the same book tastes as I do. (she likes Harry Potter anyway). Hopefully she'll enjoy it as much as I did.

one final thought:


SPOILER BELOW!!!! HIGHLIGHT TO READ!!!!!

My favorite part of the book - actually 1 tiny paragraph - was when Percy, Grover and Annabeth were travelling through Hades and came across the "Garden of Persephone"


I understood why she wanted to move on: The tart smell of those pomegranates was almost overwhelming. I had a sudden desire to eat them, but then i remembered the story of Persephone. One bite of Underworld food, and we would never be able to leave. I pulled Grover away to keep him from picking a big juicy one.


I LOVED IT!!!! Having to steer clear of those ebil poms!! BRILLIANT!!!! WTG Rick Riordan!

Labels

blog365 (347) pictures (190) crafts (81) NaBloPoMo (50) pics (48) karaoke (44) football (29) youtube (28) crochet (21) joel (20) TWITTER RECAP (19) Joe Lansdale (15) list (15) singsnap (15) magikjaz (12) bottlecaps (11) chainmaille (11) movies (11) trivia (10) quiz (9) video (7) Detroit Lions (6) Detroit Tigers (6) cats (6) Dancing with the stars (5) Red Wings (5) etsy (5) meme (4) Audio blog (3) PTK (3) TV (3) Thanksgiving (3) Velisia (3) food (3) jazblopomo (3) kaguya (3) music (3) myspace (3) tim curry (3) Ava (2) BC (2) Grease (2) NAIAS (2) Salem (2) Spirit of Detroit (2) american Idol (2) banshee (2) beer (2) concert (2) detroit red wings (2) dreams (2) funny (2) jewelry (2) kevin (2) mozart (2) oscars (2) poetry (2) police (2) puters (2) sick (2) singing (2) stanley cup (2) t'hy'la (2) tenacious D (2) utterz (2) wedding (2) wordpress (2) DST (1) Detroit (1) Detroit Pistons (1) Jose (1) Lindsey Lohan (1) Mama (1) Maya Angelou (1) NKOTB (1) NOLA (1) NWA (1) NYC (1) QVC (1) RUSH (1) Tigers (1) Toy Box (1) american band (1) art (1) bday (1) blogger play (1) camera (1) car (1) chicano (1) china (1) dally in the alley (1) depression (1) edward james olmos (1) facebook (1) family (1) fish (1) flock (1) fug (1) funny or die (1) gaiaonine (1) gofugyourself (1) guya (1) halcyontears (1) haunted (1) high school (1) jeopardy (1) jerry o'connell (1) jersey (1) july (1) kohana (1) laptop (1) latino (1) left handers day (1) link (1) menewsha (1) mexican (1) mischa barton (1) mobile (1) mobile blog (1) murder (1) neopets (1) news (1) party (1) phenomenal (1) photobucket (1) picture (1) plane crash (1) politics (1) poll (1) problems (1) pt cruiser (1) rainbow (1) recipe (1) show (1) smartcar (1) snopes (1) star trek (1) star wars (1) stolen (1) super secret blog project (1) sushi (1) test (1) the bloggess (1) toy (1) u of m (1) ugly betty (1) websites (1) williamson (1) work (1) zantarni (1) zombies (1)