Pages

8/21/08

just finished watching "The Rose"

I've never seen it before. This month, as I said before, is dedicated to movies. Mostly movies that everyone else in the known universe seems to have seen but me ... along with a few that caught my eye along the way.

So ... The Rose.

I must say Bette Midler was genius in the role. But it pissed me off.

Maybe cuz I don't understand the whole drug thing. Or the whole Janis Joplin thing. I mean, I like her, and it was a tragedy, but it was entirely preventable.

Maybe I'm just in a bad space to watch a movie like this. Heaven knows it's happened before.

My favorite part was definitely the scene with the drag queens. That was pure Bette gold right there. And I could even see a little bit of me (and people I know) in that scene.

Least favorite scene was in the phone booth at the high school football field.

I'm really glad I've seen it and I have a frame of reference now when people bring it up. Altho seeing it makes me kinda sad that Bette went from that to "Big Business", but what can you do?

Right now I have no tolerance for stupid people and stupid actions I guess.

I have been there. I've done my share of drugs and alcohol abuse. Hell I've even contemplated suicide a few times. (Came scarily close a couple times) But for some reason this movie just pissed me off.

Maybe I'll watch it when it comes on TV again (Sept 2nd on Fox Movie Channel fyi) and I'll come away with a different point of view.

All in all, if you haven't seen it, take the time to do so. And if you have, what did you think about it?

Labels

blog365 (347) pictures (190) crafts (81) NaBloPoMo (50) pics (48) karaoke (44) football (29) youtube (28) crochet (21) joel (20) TWITTER RECAP (19) Joe Lansdale (15) list (15) singsnap (15) magikjaz (12) bottlecaps (11) chainmaille (11) movies (11) trivia (10) quiz (9) video (7) Detroit Lions (6) Detroit Tigers (6) cats (6) Dancing with the stars (5) Red Wings (5) etsy (5) meme (4) Audio blog (3) PTK (3) TV (3) Thanksgiving (3) Velisia (3) food (3) jazblopomo (3) kaguya (3) music (3) myspace (3) tim curry (3) Ava (2) BC (2) Grease (2) NAIAS (2) Salem (2) Spirit of Detroit (2) american Idol (2) banshee (2) beer (2) concert (2) detroit red wings (2) dreams (2) funny (2) jewelry (2) kevin (2) mozart (2) oscars (2) poetry (2) police (2) puters (2) sick (2) singing (2) stanley cup (2) t'hy'la (2) tenacious D (2) utterz (2) wedding (2) wordpress (2) DST (1) Detroit (1) Detroit Pistons (1) Jose (1) Lindsey Lohan (1) Mama (1) Maya Angelou (1) NKOTB (1) NOLA (1) NWA (1) NYC (1) QVC (1) RUSH (1) Tigers (1) Toy Box (1) american band (1) art (1) bday (1) blogger play (1) camera (1) car (1) chicano (1) china (1) dally in the alley (1) depression (1) edward james olmos (1) facebook (1) family (1) fish (1) flock (1) fug (1) funny or die (1) gaiaonine (1) gofugyourself (1) guya (1) halcyontears (1) haunted (1) high school (1) jeopardy (1) jerry o'connell (1) jersey (1) july (1) kohana (1) laptop (1) latino (1) left handers day (1) link (1) menewsha (1) mexican (1) mischa barton (1) mobile (1) mobile blog (1) murder (1) neopets (1) news (1) party (1) phenomenal (1) photobucket (1) picture (1) plane crash (1) politics (1) poll (1) problems (1) pt cruiser (1) rainbow (1) recipe (1) show (1) smartcar (1) snopes (1) star trek (1) star wars (1) stolen (1) super secret blog project (1) sushi (1) test (1) the bloggess (1) toy (1) u of m (1) ugly betty (1) websites (1) williamson (1) work (1) zantarni (1) zombies (1)