Pages

7/31/06

I can't sleep

I need to be up in 3 and a half hours to get ready for the long day from hell today. It's Kevins employee picnic and I'm the entertainment (karaoke/DJ) I don't start until 12noon...but Kevin has to be there sometime around7:30 to get things rolling (he's the exec chef....he's in charge of all the food) and since we only have one car I have to go with him in the morning. This means Jazmyn will be swilling down many many MANY cups of coffee today...along with many many MANY bottles of water as it's supposed to get up to around 100 degrees with around 50% humidity ... good stuff.

I had a wedding that I worked tonight. Out in Southfield. I spent most of the time chatting via text to my t'hy'la cuz I was so bored. They hired us for 3 hours....6PM - 9PM...as supplemental to the main DJ. strictly karaoke. Which is fine. I'm assuming the DJ came with the package (it was a nice place...the wedding easily cost somewhere in teh vicinity of 20K) So the deal was that at 6PM the maid of honor would give her toast and the bridesmaids would sing a song. Then the best man gives his toast and the groomsmen sing their song. Then a small performance by some of the bride and groom's friends and then karaoke. There was this lady in charge of everything...I thought she was the wedding planner but she gave kudos to someone else for that, so she must have just been the banquet person who's job it is to keep everything rolling. Well she showed me the sheet she was working from and after the performance it said "MORE KARAOKE".

So I assumed I'd kick it off like any other show and we'd get a few singers in, pausing occassionally for the traditional wedding stuff like the dances and the tosses....WRONG! Instead of at 6...at 7PM they did the 2 toasts and songs and the performance (the bridesmaids lip synced to "giving him somethign he can feel" by En Vogue" ... very cute! They had the dance from the video and everything) The lady in charge went on to the other stuff. So I sat around for another almost hour. Finally she told me we could get the karaoke started...so I said I would sing a song and then get everyone that wanted to sing up there. So I sang "Baby Love" and got a nice response and was getting ready to call up some people I knew wanted to sing (the lady with the paper told me) and she said "and now let's do" something I can't remember. I was stunned. So I basically looked like some diva that just had to sing instead of like a karaoke host doing her job.

After some more wedding stuff the group i was gonna call up to sing finally came over and were ready. So I got them up and done. That was around 8PM. Then there was dessert and around 8:30PM the DJ started playing dace songs (My Eyes Don't Cry (detroit hustle), Cha-Cha Slide, etc...) so of course no one sang then. So I waited nice and polite and at 9PM broke it all down and left.

I can't believe they paid us for a 3 hour show for basically 3 songs. They musta had some money to spend *sheesh* Must be nice.

So we came home, I burned a couple CDs for the party tomorrow (newer radio songs like "Buttons" and "My hips Don't Lie" and stuff like that....cuz my boss is all about the country music in his collection) And we got ready for bed. So I lay down and I think I fell asleep cuz I felt like I woke up, but now I can't get my brain to stop.

Which means a different blog I suppose so I can organize my thoughts on why I can't sleep.

Labels

blog365 (347) pictures (190) crafts (81) NaBloPoMo (50) pics (48) karaoke (44) football (29) youtube (28) crochet (21) joel (20) TWITTER RECAP (19) Joe Lansdale (15) list (15) singsnap (15) magikjaz (12) bottlecaps (11) chainmaille (11) movies (11) trivia (10) quiz (9) video (7) Detroit Lions (6) Detroit Tigers (6) cats (6) Dancing with the stars (5) Red Wings (5) etsy (5) meme (4) Audio blog (3) PTK (3) TV (3) Thanksgiving (3) Velisia (3) food (3) jazblopomo (3) kaguya (3) music (3) myspace (3) tim curry (3) Ava (2) BC (2) Grease (2) NAIAS (2) Salem (2) Spirit of Detroit (2) american Idol (2) banshee (2) beer (2) concert (2) detroit red wings (2) dreams (2) funny (2) jewelry (2) kevin (2) mozart (2) oscars (2) poetry (2) police (2) puters (2) sick (2) singing (2) stanley cup (2) t'hy'la (2) tenacious D (2) utterz (2) wedding (2) wordpress (2) DST (1) Detroit (1) Detroit Pistons (1) Jose (1) Lindsey Lohan (1) Mama (1) Maya Angelou (1) NKOTB (1) NOLA (1) NWA (1) NYC (1) QVC (1) RUSH (1) Tigers (1) Toy Box (1) american band (1) art (1) bday (1) blogger play (1) camera (1) car (1) chicano (1) china (1) dally in the alley (1) depression (1) edward james olmos (1) facebook (1) family (1) fish (1) flock (1) fug (1) funny or die (1) gaiaonine (1) gofugyourself (1) guya (1) halcyontears (1) haunted (1) high school (1) jeopardy (1) jerry o'connell (1) jersey (1) july (1) kohana (1) laptop (1) latino (1) left handers day (1) link (1) menewsha (1) mexican (1) mischa barton (1) mobile (1) mobile blog (1) murder (1) neopets (1) news (1) party (1) phenomenal (1) photobucket (1) picture (1) plane crash (1) politics (1) poll (1) problems (1) pt cruiser (1) rainbow (1) recipe (1) show (1) smartcar (1) snopes (1) star trek (1) star wars (1) stolen (1) super secret blog project (1) sushi (1) test (1) the bloggess (1) toy (1) u of m (1) ugly betty (1) websites (1) williamson (1) work (1) zantarni (1) zombies (1)