Pages

11/9/08

People are idiots when they drink

So last night hubby and I went up to the local pub for some free darts and to see JForce and others. Shortly after we got there, this couple walked in. We haven't seen them in forever. They aren't our favorite people tho. And last night was a good example of why.

The chick started talking to hubby about their new dog they purchased (a Great Dane from OK). She even went as far as to bring in pictars she has printed out on her puter of him (and his pedigree) to show us. Which .... yay for the new puppy ... but hubby and I aren't dog people so after about 10 minutes of dog stories  both of us had our eyes glaze over. She never noticed tho. Seriously she didn't shut up for the entire HOUR she was there.

Her hubby was quiet for most of the night. Near last call he started talking to me tho. Told me that I'm a hard person to talk to. Which I agreed with at first cuz I'm extremely shy around new people and have a hard time opening up .... even to people I have known for years ... but he then proceeded to explain that one of the reasons he felt that way was based on a dart game we played a few months ago.

(disclaimer ... if you don't know much about darts this might be gibberish to you)

It was boys v. girls (he and hubby v me and his wife) playing cricket and he proceeded to pound points since we hadn't closed numbers. I think we were down about 200 points. So he then turns to me and says "I'll take it easy on you the next couple rounds and won't score points so you can get back in the game"

Now if anyone knows anything about me they should know this: I hate being treated patronizingly. First of all I'm very competitive. I would rather win than anything. But if I can't win, I'd rather lose on my own merits than have you feel pity for me and "take it  easy" on me. If i have to lose a crochet game by 10 lights and 300 points then so be it. At least I can walk away with my head held high knowing I did my best.

So I let him know this. Albeit a little harshly. And consequently I'm a bitch.

But wait! there's more!

So then he discusses his landscaping business. And how he's getting underbid and the damn Mexicans are ruling landscaping. Before he can go any further I inform him that I am "Mexican" (minor detail that I'm not ... I'm an American with hispanic heritage ... but he's too much of an idiot to respect the nuances) I assumed that would stop him from continuing.

I was wrong.

So now I have asshole racist whose wife wouldn't shut the hell up for 2 minutes the whole night telling me that mexicans are ruining his business cuz the businesses they work for underbid him. Which puts me in a bad place. And causes me to run my mouth. Something about how at least my people are willing to put in a hard days work for a paycheck instead of whining about the economy and refusing work cuz you won't get paid "what you're worth" ... or something along those lines. Then I walked away (cuz otherwise he was getting a beer bottle upside the head)

(another disclaimer ... if you don't know just a little bit of football Lions history here you may not get my frustration coming up)

And in between these lovely moments I have some guy in a Geek Squad shirt come over and he and mr. asshole start in on how the Lions should be sold and moved to another city. (for which i bit my tongue cuz it wasn't my conversation) and then that the only played worth anything was the kicker "what the hell is his name?" (which i chimed in Jason Hanson ... cuz he my future baby daddy) ... and then mr. geek squad proceeds to spout off how the Lions suck so badly that any Quarterbacks we've had that have sucked have gone on to greatness elsewhere. And he cites as his examples?

VINNIE TESTAVERDE and WARREN MOON!!!!!

ARE YOU FRIGGING KIDDING ME!?!?!?!?!

Vinnie played for Tampa for years and Warren played for Minnesota... in OUR division...AGAINST us!!!!! not FOR us!!!!!!

so I (and hubby) call him out on his mis-information. And I proceeded to say "you must have meant Rodney Peete." (whose claim to fame is that after we let him go, he went to Philly and beat us in a playoff game in 1995) "or maybe Jeff garcia" (who we let go and he led Philly (again) thru a winning season and onto the NFC championship which they lost) ... cuz frankly we haven't had much.

yea. I got a really dirty look, an endorsement from a fellow regular telling mr. geek squad that he shouldn't spount things he doesn't know in front of us cuz we know football, and exclusion from the rest of the conversation (you know...until mr. asshole started in on the Mexicans)

so all in all it was a fabulous night.

And today the Lions lost again (surprise!!!!)

Labels

blog365 (347) pictures (190) crafts (81) NaBloPoMo (50) pics (48) karaoke (44) football (29) youtube (28) crochet (21) joel (20) TWITTER RECAP (19) Joe Lansdale (15) list (15) singsnap (15) magikjaz (12) bottlecaps (11) chainmaille (11) movies (11) trivia (10) quiz (9) video (7) Detroit Lions (6) Detroit Tigers (6) cats (6) Dancing with the stars (5) Red Wings (5) etsy (5) meme (4) Audio blog (3) PTK (3) TV (3) Thanksgiving (3) Velisia (3) food (3) jazblopomo (3) kaguya (3) music (3) myspace (3) tim curry (3) Ava (2) BC (2) Grease (2) NAIAS (2) Salem (2) Spirit of Detroit (2) american Idol (2) banshee (2) beer (2) concert (2) detroit red wings (2) dreams (2) funny (2) jewelry (2) kevin (2) mozart (2) oscars (2) poetry (2) police (2) puters (2) sick (2) singing (2) stanley cup (2) t'hy'la (2) tenacious D (2) utterz (2) wedding (2) wordpress (2) DST (1) Detroit (1) Detroit Pistons (1) Jose (1) Lindsey Lohan (1) Mama (1) Maya Angelou (1) NKOTB (1) NOLA (1) NWA (1) NYC (1) QVC (1) RUSH (1) Tigers (1) Toy Box (1) american band (1) art (1) bday (1) blogger play (1) camera (1) car (1) chicano (1) china (1) dally in the alley (1) depression (1) edward james olmos (1) facebook (1) family (1) fish (1) flock (1) fug (1) funny or die (1) gaiaonine (1) gofugyourself (1) guya (1) halcyontears (1) haunted (1) high school (1) jeopardy (1) jerry o'connell (1) jersey (1) july (1) kohana (1) laptop (1) latino (1) left handers day (1) link (1) menewsha (1) mexican (1) mischa barton (1) mobile (1) mobile blog (1) murder (1) neopets (1) news (1) party (1) phenomenal (1) photobucket (1) picture (1) plane crash (1) politics (1) poll (1) problems (1) pt cruiser (1) rainbow (1) recipe (1) show (1) smartcar (1) snopes (1) star trek (1) star wars (1) stolen (1) super secret blog project (1) sushi (1) test (1) the bloggess (1) toy (1) u of m (1) ugly betty (1) websites (1) williamson (1) work (1) zantarni (1) zombies (1)