Pages

9/24/06

I Love Football Sundays

When I was in high school, football was a neccessary ebil. Something you sat thru until halftime when the marching band finally played. I remember sitting in the stands watching the game, having no idea what was going on, but yelling with Jules 'Pinski "BLOOD! GIVE ME BLOOD! KILL THE QUARTERBACK!" It was fun and cathartic. I hadn't a clue what I was yelling tho. It was just a way to pass the time until we had to line up and march.

But somewhere between then and now I have become a football addict. And luckily my husband is too. Yea i know, he's a man, aren't all men addicted to football? The answer is no. Most of the men I ever dated hated the idea of sitting in front of a TV screen on Sundays watching games. Especially the Lions. So I gritted my teeth and bit my tongue and usually worked at the bar on Sundays so I could catch some football on the sly.

But a little over 6 years ago I met Kevin. And he loves football as much as I do. He's a Jets fan (no accounting for taste) and he thoroughly enjoys just vegging in front of the TV from 11am Sunday morning (pregame) until somewhere around 1AM (postgame). We make football food (chili, grilled burgers and dogs, brats... that sort of thing) and drink lots of beer. It's a totally unhealthy day and an unhealthy way to start the week, but I absolutely don't care. I love my football Sundays.

Now, to be fair, I think my sister was a football (and a Lions fan) way before me. I remember when she got an autographed picture of our rookie kicker Jason Hanson. I think he was at Southland. I had no clue who he was. I learned pretty quickly tho. And Jason is now my future baby daddy. I love that man. Of all the Lions, he is the most consistent AND he's got such character. There aren't any current players I like more than him.

Past players I love include Robert Porcher, Luther Ellis and Chris Spielman. Men of immpecable character. Men I admire. Do you know Chris Spielman quit playing football in order to support his wife who was going thru breast cancer treatments? And Robert Porcher loves the city of Detroit. After he retired he invested in TWO upscale restaurants in downtown. I've been to one of them, Seldom Blues located in the RenCen, it's fabulous. And Luther Ellis is just a stand up guy. I met him at a football for women function a few years back. Unlike the other guys there, he stayed and signed autographs until the line was gone.

But the guys aren't the only reason I watch. I just love the almost gladiator-like thrill of the game. I love cheering on my team. I love seeing an amazing TD pass reception or a fantastic rush. I Love a Dre Bly interception. I love watching them sack Brett Favre. I love my football Sundays.

Labels

blog365 (347) pictures (190) crafts (81) NaBloPoMo (50) pics (48) karaoke (44) football (29) youtube (28) crochet (21) joel (20) TWITTER RECAP (19) Joe Lansdale (15) list (15) singsnap (15) magikjaz (12) bottlecaps (11) chainmaille (11) movies (11) trivia (10) quiz (9) video (7) Detroit Lions (6) Detroit Tigers (6) cats (6) Dancing with the stars (5) Red Wings (5) etsy (5) meme (4) Audio blog (3) PTK (3) TV (3) Thanksgiving (3) Velisia (3) food (3) jazblopomo (3) kaguya (3) music (3) myspace (3) tim curry (3) Ava (2) BC (2) Grease (2) NAIAS (2) Salem (2) Spirit of Detroit (2) american Idol (2) banshee (2) beer (2) concert (2) detroit red wings (2) dreams (2) funny (2) jewelry (2) kevin (2) mozart (2) oscars (2) poetry (2) police (2) puters (2) sick (2) singing (2) stanley cup (2) t'hy'la (2) tenacious D (2) utterz (2) wedding (2) wordpress (2) DST (1) Detroit (1) Detroit Pistons (1) Jose (1) Lindsey Lohan (1) Mama (1) Maya Angelou (1) NKOTB (1) NOLA (1) NWA (1) NYC (1) QVC (1) RUSH (1) Tigers (1) Toy Box (1) american band (1) art (1) bday (1) blogger play (1) camera (1) car (1) chicano (1) china (1) dally in the alley (1) depression (1) edward james olmos (1) facebook (1) family (1) fish (1) flock (1) fug (1) funny or die (1) gaiaonine (1) gofugyourself (1) guya (1) halcyontears (1) haunted (1) high school (1) jeopardy (1) jerry o'connell (1) jersey (1) july (1) kohana (1) laptop (1) latino (1) left handers day (1) link (1) menewsha (1) mexican (1) mischa barton (1) mobile (1) mobile blog (1) murder (1) neopets (1) news (1) party (1) phenomenal (1) photobucket (1) picture (1) plane crash (1) politics (1) poll (1) problems (1) pt cruiser (1) rainbow (1) recipe (1) show (1) smartcar (1) snopes (1) star trek (1) star wars (1) stolen (1) super secret blog project (1) sushi (1) test (1) the bloggess (1) toy (1) u of m (1) ugly betty (1) websites (1) williamson (1) work (1) zantarni (1) zombies (1)